asparagus apple salad + sweet mustard glaze
i experiment a lot with salads. and salad dressings. i love coming up with new combinations—especially new fat free dressings. and they’re typically ok…but never especially satisfying or complex flavor-wise.
i completely blew myself away with this one.
sweet, tangy, citrusy, but still with plenty of vegetables. the perfect summer salad.
*i would definitely recommend adding fresh orange segments or canned mandarin oranges although i didn’t have them in this version*
the following recipe makes 1 large, meal-sized salad or 3 appetizer salads. the measurements are very rough.
2 T orange juice
2 T yellow mustard
1 T honey
1 t lemon juice
1 t sugar
- whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. it will be a liquid, but more viscous than juice itself. pay attention to the sugar as it settles on the bottom; stir again right before drizzling.
1.5 c greens (spinach or spring greens are best matched to the other flavors)
.5 c coleslaw mix, for more texture and color
half a red apple
raw asparagus stalks (as many as you want; i used about 8)
- wash the asparagus and snap the stalks wherever they naturally break. discard the bottoms and cut the top sections into 1” pieces.
- roughly dice the apple
- toss the greens and coleslaw mix and place in a bowl
- layer asparagus over the greens and top with apples
- drizzle glaze over the top (remember to stir again)
- sprinkle with salt or butter shaker (optional)
enjoy the unique + fresh flavors of your soon-to-be-favorite summer salad!